Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Altec Valencia speakers and console for sale

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jasonroeber's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2008
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a set of Altec Valencia speakers and the matching console for sale in Austin Texas.

    I really love this system but I don't have room for them any more. The components are in very good shape and sound great, the speaker cabinets are in decent shape. I patched and refinished one speaker top and the other speaker has damage to the finish on the top and one side. I was able to sand and refinish on a single afternoon.

    The Console is in excellent condition and I can send pictures if you'd like. The speakers come with a set of Oak speaker stands that I used for holding my vinyl. They come with the system free of charge and no you can't buy the speakers without them. They won't do me any good and I want to get rid of it all.

    I also have a set of Heil ESS Air transformers that I use for the high end with these speakers and am selling them separately.

    I'm asking $1000.00 for the speakers and console and $300 for the Heil ESS ATMs.

    If you're interested you can reach me at 512 228-4251 or email me at [email protected].

    I will consider shipping them but I prefer local pick up in Austin Texas.

    Thanks

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 19, 2008 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Jasonroeber ]</font>

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Valencia speakers and console for sale


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    In the interest of accurate info- Valencias are NOT in any way shape or form A7's.

    They are nice speakers however.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I want to second OG's post without sounding like a nitpicker or offending the OP.

    I think much "blame" for the VOTT/Valencia association originally comes from 1 or 2 vintage catalog pages that advertised the Valencia as using the same components as the A7 Voice of the Theater.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page14.jpg

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page15.jpg

    Seeing non VOTT's advertised as A7's/VOTT's sometimes fosters a pet peeve of mine that can generally only be trumped with expressions of "minty", and guys who think an amplifier's power consumption is the same as it's output. forums

    Just my .02 y'all understand..............

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jasonroeber's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2008
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My humble apologies to all, I am new to the board and only recently started to refer to these as A7s. I've always called them "Altec Valencias" before.

    I do like to links sent in the second post which actually show the literature from Altec with not just the correct speakers but the console as well.
    My speakers may very well be from 1971.

    The grill on the front is plastic, not wood.

    I'm update the original posting to delete the reference to A7.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    No apology necessary.

    Again just my opinion here, but i think it's shared to a degree when i say that many of the folks who are "in the know", and will be interested in your items are sometimes put off by inaccuracies or hyped claims by the seller.

    Please understand that i'm NOT at all suggesting that was the case with your ad. I understand where some of these misconceptions are born and hence why i posted those links.

    I too have found myself under the influence of urban legend and inaccurate word of mouth with regard to some of this great old gear. Thankfully, this board and it's members have on more than one occasion corrected me and set the record straight.

    FWIW, i think you're asking is quite reasonable. While Valencia's come up for sale pretty regularly, it's far less common to find them with the matching console/equipment cabinet.

    It's a nice set, i hope it finds a good home and you get your asking price.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Valencia speakers and console for sale


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I wasn't offended- and didn't mean to offend.

    Simply didn't want to see an Ebay post justifying calling them A7's because a friend of a friend knows somebody who read it on the internet somewhere...

    Don't laugh- sillier stuff has actually happened.

    I've seen Ebay posts where people claimed Altec and Jensen were the same company. And one post where an el cheapo Electro Voice PA driver- they made a series where sound was taken of the front and back of the diaphragm...was touted as "rare" because the person's friend was a Hi-Fi expert and he had never heard of such a thing..$30 PA drivers are far from rare.

    BTW that word sets me off worse than "minty' Rare...grrr...make blood boil...and I hate exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!

    I recall an ad for a '60's Chrysler vehicle claiming it was the only one known in existence. Only problem was another was posted at the same time...
    I could go on...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.